Life is more enjoyable when you feel confident.
It’s also easier to be successful, happy, motivated and encouraged.
A lack of confidence can get in the way of your career, relationships, and social life. Low self-confidence can trip you up when you least expect it. Luckily, your sense of self-confidence is under your control. If you avoid managing it, it will be lower than you deserve. Your level of self-confidence might seem random, but you can choose to direct it as you see fit.
Here are five ways that you can increase your self-confidence and feel better about yourself and your future:
1. Have a small success. It can be mundane, like getting the garage cleaned out. Have an intention and follow through on it. When you intend to do something and accomplish it, you feel more confident.
2. Let go of the past. This is a tough one and one that I work on regularly. You’ve had a few things go wrong in the past, but that has nothing to do with today. Your future is created today. The difference between yesterday and tomorrow is what you’re doing today. Make it a positive difference.
3. Hit the gym. Go for a run or do 25 pushups. Even a vigorous walk can boost your self-confidence. Break a sweat and you’ll boost your confidence.
4. Tackle a fear. Afraid of spiders? Go to the pet store and ask to hold a tarantula. Fear of heights? Find a building downtown that allows the public to use the observation deck. We make every effort to avoid the things we fear. Rather than hiding, face a fear head-on and notice how confident you feel afterwards. Bravery and self-confidence are cousins.
5. Make a list of your past successes. You’ve had at least a few. You’ve probably forgotten more than you remember! Take just a minute or two to remember these great successes. You’ll feel more powerful after just 60 seconds. * Better yet, make a list and carry it with you. Start with your childhood and move forward in time to the present day. When you’re feeling down, pull out your list and bask in your successes.
Take time each day to enhance your self-confidence. Just a few minutes of effort can change the way you feel about yourself. Everything is easier and more enjoyable when you’re confident in your abilities. Avoid allowing the world to dictate your level of self-confidence. Take control of this important trait.